Winchester, KY summers can sometimes get the best of us! The warm season in Kentucky often lasts well into the fall and turns the outside into a sauna. We all need an air conditioning system we can rely on. It is always a good idea to have your air conditioner serviced every spring, to prevent avoidable repairs. However, if you find yourself in the heat of summer with a broken AC, we handle your any air conditioning repair in Winchester, KY that same day.
Symptoms to Look For
The first obvious sign of an air conditioning repair is if your system isn’t turning on or cooling the air as much as it should. This is when most of us pick up the phone to call for a repair service. However, there are a few other signs you can look for before it quits working completely.
If your central air conditioner or heat pump system shows any of the symptoms below, have it serviced as soon as possible.
This is usually a good sign that you need air conditioning repair. Your AC unit should run fairly quietly with only the slight hum of the motor or blow of the fan. Any type of clunking, rattling, squealing, grinding or other unusual sounds are almost always a sign of trouble. Turn off the system and call Thornberry Bros for air conditioning repair service immediately.
Water or Frost:
Sometimes a water leak just means you need to drain the tube or add refrigerant, but sometimes it’s much more than that. Frost or ice on the coils can indicate a more serious problem, and it’s time to call for an AC repair.
The AC unit uses refrigerant to cool the air. This is a hazardous gas that should be handled only by a professional. If you hear a hissing sound coming from your ACunit, or if you’ve tried other fixes and the air is still not cooling, it could be a problem with your refrigerant. It’s best to call a Winchester, KY professional ASAP to avoid being exposed to this gas.
Most Common AC Repairs
If your air conditioner is no longer blowing out cool air, it’s a big problem – especially in the middle of a southern summer. Air conditioners are complicated systems that need the perfect combination of temperature, airflow, and pressure to work properly. If any one of these components isn’t working properly, it can cause the system to fail. The five most common air conditioning repairs include:
- Unmaintained Condenser Unit – This is the outside unit that is often overlooked. Over the winter, it could have weeds or grass or debris around it that can cause it to overwork or shut down. Keep your condenser unit clean and clear at all times.
- Insufficient Airflow – Most often this is due to a dirty filter. If you’ve replaced the filter and the air still seems to be weak, call Thornberry Bros to perform a duct check or AC fan maintenance to check for potential issues.
- Electrical Issues – This could be due to a tripped breaker or the air conditioning unit not be connected properly. You can check your breaker box to ensure the breaker is not tripped and also check the unit itself to ensure it’s plugged in and turned on.
- Thermostat Issues – If the thermostat display is blank, that’s usually an easy sign that you need to replace the batteries, or replace the thermostat completely. This is usually the problem if part of the home is cool while the other part is sweltering. If fixing the thermostat doesn’t change the issue, call in the Thornberry Pros professionals.
- Frozen Air Handler – Take a quick look behind your air filter and inside the unit’s evaporator coils. If they are frozen, that’s a problem. That ice is blocking the air inside your home from getting the refrigerant it needs to cool down. The only solution is to turn off the AC for 24 hours and try to use it again. If this happens more than once, it’s time to call an HVAC professional to service your unit right away.
Call us for same-day or 24/7 emergency service in Winchester, KY, and the surrounding areas. The NATE-Certified specialists at Thornberry Bros can quickly diagnose and fix most AC problems to get your system up and running. If your unit is beyond and air conditioning repair, we can provide a free replacement estimate and recommendations for you and your family.
Broken AC unit? Furnace trouble?
We can fix that. Trust in Thornberry today.